New custom molds are occasionally created for the machines, although it's not an easy undertaking.
Chicago toy store Rotofugi acquired and repurposed a Mold-A-Rama that was originally at the Los Angeles Zoo. They call it the Roto-a-Matic, and it produces a toy called the Helper Dragon from a new custom mold of a sculpture by artist Tim Biskup. You can get one by purchasing a token for $6, putting it in the machine and watching it go, or by ordering the sculpture from the store.
The mold was made by 3-D scanning an original sculpture, designing a mold using CAD (computer-aided design) and having an aluminum cast made of the mold. Rotofugi had planned to regularly feature new designs by artists, but making new molds has proven difficult and expensive, so for now they are simply changing the color each month.
Aside from people buying and refurbishing existing machines, at least one person was inspired to take it a step further. James Durand designed and constructed his own small version of the Mold-A-Rama, dubbed the Mini-Molder, and displayed it at Maker Faire Bay Area in 2014 [sources: AsherMade, Doctrow, Szczys]. It produced a figurine of the Makey robot that's featured on Maker Faire's logo.
Despite the fact that Mold-A-Ramas are practically antiques, they remain popular to this day.
Author's Note: How Mold-A-Rama Works
The manufacturing processes behind souvenirs and other plastic baubles that we buy are fascinating, and Mold-A-Rama machines give you a tiny glimpse into one such process. While researching this, I was sad to learn that there was a Mold-A-Rama within 30 miles of me as recently as 2013, but that it's no longer there. But there are still many out in the wild. I will endeavor to locate one during my next Florida trip, at the very least, and bring home a little plastic piece of history.
- AsherMade. "Mini Molder." (Dec. 11, 2014) http://ashermade.com/category/mini-molder/
- Daly, Sean. "Waxing nostalgic: In 30 seconds, Mold-A-Rama makes memories, toys to last a lifetime." Tampa Bay Times. July 2, 2009. (Dec. 4, 2014) http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/waxing-nostalgic-in-30-seconds-mold-a-rama-makes-memories-toys-to-last-a/1015315
- Doctrow, Cory. "Scratch-built Mold-a-Rama machine." May 23, 2014. (Dec. 11, 2014) http://boingboing.net/2014/05/23/scratch-built-mold-a-rama-mach.html
- Garza, Sonja. "Nostalgic Machine at San Antonio Zoo Crafts Toys Before Your Eyes." San Antonio Express-News. April 22, 2004. (Dec. 8, 2014) http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-115702342.html
- Holbrook, Jessica. "Store gives old idea fresh spin." Plastics News. Dec. 17, 2012, Volume 24, Issue 39. (Dec. 8, 2014) http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/20121218/NEWS/312189999/store-gives-old-idea-fresh-spin
- Lammle, Rob. "A Brief History of Mold-A-Rama." Mental Floss. March 18, 2014. (Dec. 8, 2014) http://mentalfloss.com/article/55241/brief-history-mold-rama
- Mashable. "3D Printing." (Dec. 14, 2014) http://mashable.com/category/3d-printing/
- Miller, John H. and Millard O. Helms, Mold-A-Rama, Inc. "United States Patent: 3,068,518 - Apparatus for Molding Hollow Plastic Products." Dec. 18, 1962. (Dec. 8, 2014) http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=03068518&IDKey=550B32251E81%0D%0A&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fpatft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO1%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526d%3DPALL%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsrchnum.htm%2526r%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526s1%3D3%2C068%2C518.PN.%2526OS%3DPN%2F3%2C068%2C518%2526RS%3DPN%2F3%2C068%2C518
- Mold-A-Rama Inc. "About Us." (Dec. 10, 2014) http://mold-a-rama.com/index.php?p=1_2_About-Us
- Mold-A-Rama Inc. "MAR Inventor." (Dec. 10, 2014) http://mold-a-rama.com/index.php?p=1_7_MAR-Inventor
- Mold-A-Rama Inc. "Molds in Production." (Dec. 10, 2014) http://mold-a-rama.com/index.php?p=1_15_Molds-in-Production
- Moldville. "1950s photos of J.H. Miller Mfg. Co." (Dec. 10, 2014) http://www.moldville.com/vintage-jh-miller-photos.html
- Moldville. "Classic Backglasses." (Dec. 10, 2014) http://www.moldville.com/Historical_BACKGLASSES.html
- Moldville. "Club-A-Rama Week 9: Eldin Irwin's Snowman." (Dec. 10, 2014) http://www.moldville.com/09__Eldin_Irwin_s_snowman.html
- Moldville. "CLUB-A-RAMA v1.0." (Dec. 11, 2014) http://moldville.com/CLUB-A-RAMA.html
- Moldville. "CLUB-A-RAMA v2.0." (Dec. 11, 2014) http://moldville.com/club-a-rama-v2-0.html
- Moldville. "Disneyland Toy Factory." (Dec. 9, 2014) http://www.moldville.com/Disneyland_Toy_Factory.html
- Moldville. "Home." (Dec. 8, 2014) http://www.moldville.com/
- Moldville. "Moldville RetroWax." (Dec. 11, 2014) http://www.moldville.com/RetroWax__TM_.html
- Moldville. "Some History..." (Dec. 10, 2014) http://www.moldville.com/history.html
- Moldville. "That great 1960's SMELL." (Dec. 10, 2014) http://www.moldville.com/that-1960-s-smell-.html
- Moldville. "The MOLD-A-RAMA Machine - Documentation." (Dec. 10, 2014) http://www.moldville.com/documentation.html
- Moldville. "The MOLD-A-RAMA Machine - Soundtrack." (Dec. 8, 2014) http://www.moldville.com/soundtrack.html
- Moldville. "The MOLD-A-RAMA Machine - The patent for the machine." (Dec. 10, 2014) http://www.moldville.com/the-patent-for-the-machine.html
- Moldville. "The MOLD-A-RAMA Machine - The Moldsets." (Dec. 10, 2014) http://www.moldville.com/moldsets.html
- Moldville. "Vintage location photos." (Dec. 11, 2014) http://www.moldville.com/vintage-location-photos.html
- Nelson, Tim. "St. Paul Como Zoo - Mold-A-Rama Menagerie." Saint Paul Pioneer Press. January 29, 2007. (Dec. 8, 2014) http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-158533446.html
- Plastipedia. "Injection Moulding." (Dec. 11, 2014) http://www.bpf.co.uk/plastipedia/processes/injection_moulding.aspx
- Replication Devices. "About Us." (Dec. 11, 2014) http://www.replicationdevices.com/about_us.html
- Rigg, Jamie. "Roto-a-Matic retro vending machine injection molds toys while you wait (video)." Engadget. Aug. 9, 2012. (Dec. 10, 2014) http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/09/roto-a-matic-toy-vending-machine/
- Szczys, Mike. "Mini-Molder: Blow Molder Scratch-Built By Single Hacker." May 22, 2014. (Dec. 11, 2014) http://hackaday.com/2014/05/22/mini-molder-injection-molder-scratch-built-by-single-hacker/
- Squibbles Ink + Rotofugi. "Roto-A-Matic - About." Feb. 3, 2009. (Dec. 10, 2014) http://www.roto-a-matic.com/?page_id=2
- Squibbles Ink + Rotofugi. "Witness the miracle convergence of hot polyethylene plastic, 1960's vending machine technology and great design!" (Dec. 10, 2014) http://www.roto-a-matic.com/
- Shearer, John. "Vintage souvenirs popular at Knoxville Zoo." Knoxville News Sentinel. Sept. 7, 2013. (Dec. 8, 2014)
- SoundCloud. "RecordBooth - Original MOLD-A-RAMA machine audio." Dec. 19, 2013. (Dec. 10, 2014) https://soundcloud.com/recordbooth/sets/original-mold-a-rama-machine