The Church at Auvers-sur-Oise by Vincent van Gogh
Vincent van Gogh finished The Church at Auvers-sur-Oise in 1890. Vincent described his painting in a letter to his sister Wil, stressing the interplay of color. The gray-violets of the building in The Church at Auvers-sur-Oise stand out against the deep blue of the sky. Vincent van Gogh notes that the foreground with its green plants and bright flowers, bordered by the sandy road, is illuminated by "the pink glow of sunshine." Van Gogh's concern for color fueled his art, and he asserted that since his time in Nuenen, his handling had become "more expressive, more sumptuous."
Keep reading to learn about another landscape inspired by Auver-sur-Oise.