I love baseball, especially the Baltimore Orioles. But I'd never thought a lot about the history of the game as we know it. It wasn't as easy as I had thought it would be to find the history. There's a lot of information online about players, statistics, etc., but my search for authoritative information took me to a university library and some books. I was interested to learn of the squabbles between leagues in the early days. Sometimes we think everything used to be pure, and only in contemporary times do we have squabbles over business, money, leadership and so on, but my research showed me that's not the case.
- How Baseball Works
- 10 Worst Trades in Baseball History
- Is baseball really an American invention?
- 5 Unforgettable Baseball Scandals
- How Baseball's National League Works
- How Baseball's American League Works
- 10 Legendary Baseball Curses
- 5 Baseball Leagues from Around the World
- 5 Major Rule Changes in the History of Baseball
- 5 Baseball Players Sent Back to the Minors
- Bendix, Peter. "The History of the American and National League, Part I." Beyond the Boxscore. (Aug. 5, 2012) http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2008/11/18/664028/the-history-of-the-america
- Bendix, Peter. "The History of the American and National League, Part II." Beyond the Boxscore. (Aug. 5, 2012) http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2008/11/20/665854/the-history-of-the-america
- Dickey, Glenn. The History of American League Baseball Since 1901. Stein and Day, New York. 1980.
- Dickey, Glenn. The History of National League Baseball Since 1876. Stein and Day, New York. 1979.
- Koppett, Leonard. Koppett's Concise History of Major League Baseball. Temple University Press, Philadelphia. 1998.
- Nilsson, Jeff. "The History of Baseball's Designated Hitter Rule: Or, The Decline and Fall of Western Civilization?" The Saturday Evening Post. Jan. 9, 2001. (Aug. 3, 2012) http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2010/01/09/archives/then-and-now/history-baseballs-designated-hitter-rule.html
- Rader, Benjamin G. Baseball: A History of America's Game. University of Illinois Press, Urbana and Chicago. 1992.
- Ritter, Lawrence S. The Story of Baseball. William Morrow and Co. New York, 1983.
- Schlossberg, Dan. The Baseball Book of Why. Jonathan David Publishers, Inc., New York. 1984.
- World Book Encyclopedia. "Baseball." The World Book Encyclopedia, Vol. 2. World Book Inc., Chicago. 1984.