Author: J.K. Rowling
Hardcover/Paperback Sold: 107 million
Published in 1997, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" was Rowling's first book about the bespectacled wizard and his friends. Just before his 11th birthday, Harry, who lives with his horrible aunt and uncle, receives a letter (carried by an owl) inviting him to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Currently, Sorcerer's Stone is the sixth best-selling book of all time, just behind "The Book of Mormon" by Joseph Smith. The rest, as they say, is history.
- 21 Best-Selling Books of All Time
- 14 Best-Selling Books Repeatedly Rejected by Publishers
- How Google Books Work
- Are e-readers making books obsolete?
- How Comic Books Work
- 9 Surprising Banned Books
- How to Find the Value of Old Books
- 5 Tips for Selling Your Used Books
- What is the oldest book in the world?
- How does banning a book work?
More Great Links
- ABC News. "Rowling Looking into Harry Potter E-Books." April 4, 2011. (Nov. 29, 2011). http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=13292040
- Forbes.com. "The Celebrity 100: #9 J.K. Rowling." June 11, 2008. (Nov. 28, 2011). http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/53/celebrities08_JK-Rowling_CRTT.html
- Griese, Noel L. "The Bible vs. Mao: A "Best Guess of the Top 25 Bestselling Books of All Time." Publishing Perspective. Sept. 7, 2010. (Nov. 29, 2011). http://publishingperspectives.com/2010/09/top-25-bestselling-books-of-all-time/
- Harper Collins. "Charlotte's Web." (Nov. 29, 2011) http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/harperchildrens/kids/gamesandcontests/features/charlottesweb/default.aspx
- Huffington Post. "The 15 Biggest Bestsellers EVER After the Bible." May 25, 2011. (Nov. 29, 2011). http://www.randomhouse.com/golden/patthebunny/story.html
- JudyBlume.com. "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing." (Dec. 1, 2010). http://www.judyblume.com/books/fudge/tales.php
- Nel, Philip. "The Annotated Cat: Under the Hats of Seuss and His Cats." Random House. 2007.
- Publishers Weekly. "All-Time Bestselling Children's Books. Dec. 17, 2001. (Nov. 28, 2011). http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/print/20011217/31866-all-time-bestselling-children-s-books-.html
- Random House. "The Story of Pat the Bunny." (Nov. 30, 2011). http://www.randomhouse.com/golden/patthebunny/story.html
- RobertMunsch.com. "All About Robert Munsch." (Dec. 1, 2011). http://robertmunsch.com/about
- Scholastic. "Harry Potter." (Nov. 29, 2011). http://harrypotter.scholastic.com/
HowStuffWorks looks at the surprising relationship between syphilis and smallpox.