Solidified lava comes in two forms. Aa is rough like cinders. Pahoehoe, formed from hotter lava, is smooth. Both words are Hawaiian.
The game is winding down. This could be your last play. You can fit the word in almost anywhere there's another "a." It's only worth two points, but if they allow you to edge out your opponent, you'll be bragging about those two points for a while.
- Bialik, Carl. "Price Drop: Stocks, Homes, Now Triple-Word Scores." Wall Street Jounral, March 18, 2009. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123731266862258869.html
- Burkeman, Oliver."Spell bound." The Guardian, June 27, 2008. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/jun/28/healthandwellbeing.familyandrelationships
- Donahue, Daniel. "Important Scrabble News: Two New Q (Without U) Words." Wired, May 9, 2011. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/05/important-scrabble-news-two-new-q-without-u-words/
- McSmith, Andy. "The sublime joy of Scrabble." The Independent, December 15, 2008. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-sublime-joy-of-scrabble-1067061.html
- Fatsis, Stefan. "How a Massachusetts carpenter got the highest Scrabble score ever." Slate.com, October 26, 2006. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/gaming/2006/10/830.single.html
- National Scrabble Association. "History of Scrabble." (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.scrabble-assoc.com/info/history.html
- NPR.org. "Present at the Creation." August 19, 2002. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/patc/scrabble/
- Swenson, Christopher. "Best Words in Scrabble." The Science of Board Games. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.scienceofboardgames.com/2007/12/best-words-in-scrabble/
- The Telegraph. "Scrabble: 60 facts for its 60th birthday." telegraph.co.uk. December 15, 2008. (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3776732/Scrabble-60-facts-for-its-60th-birthday.html
The rooms in the Tudor-style mansion on the CLUE game board haven't changed in 70 years. Until now. HowStuffWorks takes a look at the new bathroom.