Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Fans of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles got a bonus lesson in Renaissance art thanks to the heroes in a halfshell, inexplicably named after some of history's most revered artists. The pizza-loving, crime-fighting quartet of turtles came in hundreds of different variations, from the classic ninja varieties to farmer, military, Wild West and classic movie monster varieties. The turtles also came with some truly awesome playsets, including a party wagon, blimp, and the totally tubular Technodrome, home of villans Krang and Shredder. You could also purchase the turtles' sewer playset -- because what kid doesn't want to play in the sewer?
Where They Are Now: The Turtles seem to have never gone out of style, and a series of video games, comic books, toys and CGI and live-action movies have been released over the years. A third animated series and its accompanying toy line debuted on Nickelodeon in 2012.
Author's Note: 10 Totally Rad '80s Toys ... and Where They Are Now
Being a child of the '80s myself, I feel it's only fair to admit that yes, I did own the infamous She-Ra dress up set, complete with mask, wrist guards and sturdy plastic sword. I also have some incredibly frustrating memories of trying to coax enough shaved ice out of my Snoopy Sno-cone Machine to make a decent-sized sno-cone. It usually ended up as an exercise in futility, followed by a trip to the snowball stand on the corner. I also have vivid memories of carefully assembling my My Little Pony Sweet Shoppe playset, never stopping to wonder at the time why in the world it was shaped like a shoe.
- American Greetings. "History and Facts." (Nov. 24, 2014) http://web.archive.org/web/20050303062052/www.care-bears.com/CareBears/html/history/index.html
- Beaver County Times. "'Care Bears' Makers Lose Copyright Suit." Dec. 14, 1983. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=LVouAAAAIBAJ&sjid=udoFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5386,2660829&dq=care-bears&hl=en
- Bellomo, Mark. "Totally Tubular '80s Toys." Krause Publications. 2010. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://books.google.com/books?id=CF8AjVJXvH0C&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Collector's Weekly. "Vintage Cabbage Patch Dolls." (Nov. 24, 2014) http://www.collectorsweekly.com/dolls/cabbage-patch
- DePiano, Hillary. "The She-Ra Collector's Inventory." Priced Nostalgia Press. 2006. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://books.google.com/books?id=tcQgHlVoRLMC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Dreyfuss, John. "Buyers Have an Early Adventure in Toyland: Industry Show Previews Talking Teddy Bears, Cuddly Dolls, More Rambos." Los Angeles Tims. Feb. 21, 1986. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://articles.latimes.com/1986-02-21/news/vw-10463_1_bear-talk/2
- Hartlaub, Peter. "12 Must-have Toy Hits From Christmases Past." NBC News. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40059786/ns/business-retail/t/must-have-toy-hits-christmases-past/#.VHZ5PTHF9Bh
- New York Times, The. "The People Behind the Toys; Two Amateurs Succeed in the Toy Jungle." Feb. 4, 1988. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://www.nytimes.com/1988/02/04/garden/the-people-behind-the-toys-2-amateurs-succeed-in-the-toy-jungle.html
- Popken, Ben. "Teddy Ruxpin's Creator, Ken Forsse, Passes Away. NBC News. March 2014. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/teddy-ruxpins-creator-ken-forsse-passes-away-n62996
- Rubiks.com. "History of the Rubik's Cube." (Nov. 24, 2014) http://www.rubiks.com/history
- Time. "Toys: Intensive Care for a Talking Bear." Feb. 10, 1986. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,960595,00.html
- Townsend, Allie. "Cabbage Patch Kids." Time. Feb. 16, 2011. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2049243_2048660_2049192,00.html
- Townsend, Allie. "Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine." Time. Feb. 16, 2011. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2049243_2048660_2049207,00.html
Barbie, the ultimate classic doll, turns 60 this year. HowStuffWorks goes to the party.