Since its debut, IMAX has been pushing the envelope to create the most realistic, immersive film experience possible. Several of the innovations introduced in select IMAX theaters include:
- Dome technology - allows the image to wrap completely around your peripheral vision
- 3-D technology - IMAX uses both polarized glasses and LCD shutter technology to display very intense 3-D films.
- 48 frames per second - This is double the standard frame rate and greatly increases visual detail.
- Advanced sound systems - IMAX theaters use a 6-channel sound system, and in some theaters you also wear a headset that provides two extra sound channels for each viewer.
- Digital Remastering - IMAX DMR converts a 35mm frame into digital form at a high resolution, extracting the important image elements to create a crystal clear form of the original photography.
By combining all of these advanced features, IMAX theaters create the most realistic and intense movie experience around.