Croquet was once thought to be a scandalous game, one of the first where men and women could play together -- so naturally, it was banned at one time. No longer worried about couples canoodling in the bushes, creative croquet players have taken the game beyond what you'd normally play in your yard; cross the game of croquet with a game of miniature golf and you get a hybrid called crazy croquet.
Croquet is a lawn game where balls are hit through wickets -- and so is crazy croquet. A crazy game can be played with the balls, mallets, posts and wickets in a single croquet set (additional sets may be needed if you plan to play with a big group), but it's played on an obstacle course with ramps and plateaus built from random objects such as plywood, bricks or rocks you've collected.
Author's Note: 10 Easy DIY Backyard Games
When I was growing up, we had a few outdoor games to play in the backyard during every summer vacation; baseball, badminton and of course the Slip'n Slide -- but all of these games require your full attention. As an adult, games that can be played while holding a small plate of food or a drink seem much more appealing for summer party fun, and I especially want to try crazy croquet.
More Great Links
- American Cornhole Association. (July 12, 2013) http://www.playcornhole.org/
- Applegate. "Survey Says: Americans Want More Backyard Barbecues This Summer." May 24, 2013. (July 12, 2013) http://finance.yahoo.com/news/survey-says-americans-want-more-141600999.html
- Better Homes and Gardens. "Crazy for Croquet." (July 12, 2013) http://www.bhg.com/crafts/party-ideas/activities/crazy-for-croquet
- Better Homes and Gardens. "Fun Outdoor Games for Kids' Birthday Parties." (July 12, 2013) http://www.bhg.com/party/birthday/party-games/fun-outdoor-games-for-kids/
- Chess.com. "Learn to Play Chess." (July 12, 2013) http://www.chess.com/learn-how-to-play-chess
- Happy Trails Pickleball Club. "Pickleball/Rules History." (July 12, 2013) http://www.htpickleball.org/Rules/rules_history.htm
- Instructables. "Crazy Croquet." (July 12, 2013) http://www.instructables.com/id/Crazy-Croquet/
- Instructables. "Giant Yard Twister Board." (July 12, 2013) http://www.instructables.com/id/Giant-Yard-Twister-Board/
- International Federation of Picklball. "Official Tournament Rulebook." Feb. 9, 2013. (July 12, 2013) http://ipickleball.org/rules/pbrules-ifp.pdf
- Krautwurst, Terry. "The Gentle Art and Sport of Playing Horseshoes." Mother Earth News. July/Aug. 1988. (July 12, 2013) http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/playing-horseshoes-zmaz88jazgoe.aspx?ViewAll=True#axzz2Uo5me9d6
- Lanhum, Stephanie. "Pitch in: How to play horseshoes." June 21, 2012. (July 12, 2013) http://www.sj-r.com/features/x2072207207/Pitch-in-How-to-play-horseshoes?zc_p=0
- McGilvray, John. "How to Build a Regulation Corn Hole Game." DIY Network. (July 12, 2013) http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-build-a-regulation-corn-hole-game/index.html
- National Horseshoe Pitchers Associatoin (NHPA). (July 12, 2013) http://www.horseshoepitching.com/
- O'Shea, Chris. "How To Be Much Better At Cornhole." Esquire. May 17, 2013. (July 12, 2013) http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/how-to-play-cornhole
- Perkins, Jennifer. "How-to: Gnome Lawn Bowling." Make. July 18, 2011. (July 12, 2013) http://makezine.com/craft/how-to_gnome_lawn_bowling_game/
- Refsal, Martin. "Your Lawn Party is About to Get Way More Fun: DIY Twister." Wired. May 3, 2012. (July 12, 2013) http://www.wired.com/design/2012/05/diy-twister/
- Rethink Recycling. "Make Your Own Lawn Bowling Set." (July 12, 2013) http://www.rethinkrecycling.com/kids/fun-and-games/monthly-recycling-activites/make-your-own-lawn-bowling-set
- Spikeball. "Instructions." (July 12, 2013) http://www.spikeball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/spikeball-instructions.pdf
- University of Massachusetts Intramural Sports. "Spikeball Rules." Dec. 2012. (July 12, 2013) http://www.umass.edu/campusrec/intramurals/rules/spikeball.pdf
- USA Pickleball Association. (July 12, 2013) http://usapa.org/
Your house needs an outdoor chessboard, and HowStuffWorks can help you make one. Learn more about making an outdoor chessboard.