Author's Note: How Burlesque Works
As part of my research for this article, I attended a burlesque show at a place called Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret in Denver. The performance was called "Burlesque on Broadway: Tophats and Tassels," and I brought my delighted husband with me. I had no idea what to expect, either from the performance or from me. Was I about to watch a strip show? Would I enjoy watching a strip show?
Sort of. And it probably depends.
There was definitely stripping, always down to pasties and G-strings, but to me, at least (I can't speak for my delighted husband), the atmosphere was more one of bawdy fun than of titillation. There were noisemakers on the table, and my enthusiasm for using them during each performer's finale surprised me (and my delighted husband). I didn't feel like I was watching women get naked. I felt like I was watching women dance. The evening's MC, a potty-mouthed guy with a bouffant, was hilarious. I highly recommend the experience. And I still won't be attending a strip club any time soon.
- American National Biography Online. "Lili St. Cyr." (Jan. 15, 2014) http://www.anb.org/articles/18/18-03864.html
- Baldwin, Michelle (Vivienne VaVoom), e-mail interview. Jan. 16, 2014.
- Burlesque Hall of Fame. (Jan. 3, 2014) http://www.burlesquehall.com/
- Caldwell, Mark. "The Almost Naked City." The New York Times. May 18, 2008. (Jan. 16, 2014) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/18/nyregion/thecity/18burl.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&
- Dance Dynamic. "Burlesque Dance Course: Frequently Asked Questions." (Dec. 31, 2013) http://www.dance-dynamic.co.uk/html/dance_burlesque.htm
- Del Signore, John. "Angie Pontani, Reigning Queen of Burlesque." The Gothamist. Aug. 28, 2008. (Jan. 19, 2014) http://gothamist.com/2008/08/28/angie_pontani_reigning_queen_of_bur.php
- Dictionary.com. "Burlesque." (Dec. 31, 2013) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/burlesque
- Doherty, Serena. "This is How You Burlesque... Blaze Starr." Burlexe. April 25, 2013. (Jan. 14, 2014) http://www.burlexe.com/this-is-how-you-burlesque-blaze-starr/
- Encyclopaedia Britannica. "Aristophanes." (Jan. 14, 2014) http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/34467/Aristophanes
- Extraordinaire, Chocolat, The. "We Shit Glitter: The 9 Unsexiest Secrets of Being a Burlesque Dancer." Sabotage Times. Dec. 25, 2013. (Jan. 3, 2014) http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/we-shit-glitter-the-9-unsexiest-secrets-of-being-a-burlesque-dancer/
- Frankel, Noralee. "Gypsy Rose Lee: A Burlesque Striptease." Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention. (Jan. 15, 2014) http://midatlanticnostalgiaconvention.com/gypsy-rose-lee-a-burlesque-striptease/
- Gold, Sylviane. "The Figure Behind the Fan: Celebrating Sally Rand." The New York Times. June 27, 2004. (Jan. 15, 2014) http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/27/arts/dance-this-week-the-figure-behind-the-fan-celebrating-sally-rand.html
- Hennessey, Kathleen. "80-year-old Vegas stripper still does it 'classy.'" AP/NBC News. July 11, 2008. (Jan. 15, 2014) http://www.today.com/id/25640691#.Utcn1VLn_IV
- Hess, Meagan. "They Wore America on Their Sleeves: Fashion and 'Americanness' in Inter-war America." American Studies, University of Virginia. Summer 2004. (Jan. 15, 2014) http://xroads.virginia.edu/~ma04/hess/fashion/theyworeamericaontheirsleeves.html
- History Link. "Lee, Gypsy Rose." (Jan. 14, 2014) http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=5686
- Horwitz, Simi. "Neo-Burlesque is Not Just Booty Shaking." Backstage. May 11, 2011. (Jan. 16, 2014) http://www.backstage.com/news/neo-burlesque-is-not-just-booty-shaking/
- The Huffington Post. "The Powerful World of New York's Neo-Burlesque Dancers." Nov. 27, 2013. (Jan. 3, 2014) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/27/leland-bobbe_n_4345810.html
- Kenrick, John. "A History of the Musical: Burlesque." (Jan. 3, 2014) http://www.musicals101.com/burlesque.htm
- Kupersmith, Alana. "Burlesque: The Grand Tradition and Its Critics." Topics in American History. History Department, State University of New York at Albany. Fall 2007. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://www.albany.edu/history/HIS530/burlesque/
- Library of Congress. "Forms of American Theater." (Jan. 9, 2014) http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/vshtml/vsforms.html
- New York Burlesque Festival. "2013 Golden Pasties." (Jan. 17, 2014) http://www.thenewyorkburlesquefestival.com/goldenpasties.php
- Oala, Irving. "Almost no lingerie needed! Dita Von Teese bares her burlesque body as she rides a mechanical bull in new racy 30 Seconds to Mars video." The Daily Mail Online. April 24, 2013. (Jan. 3, 2014) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2314299/Dita-Von-Teese-bares-burlesque-body-ride-mechanical-bull-new-racy-30-Seconds-Mars-video.html
- Pin Curl. "2012 Golden Pasties Winners." (Jan. 18, 2014) http://pincurlmag.com/2012-golden-pasties-winners
- Rao, Mallika. "20 Burlesque Stars To Know And Their Wildest Signature Acts." The Huffington Post. Dec. 4, 2012. (Jan. 15, 2013) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/04/20-burlesque-stars-to-know_n_2166928.html
- Rose City School of Burlesque. "What is Burlesque?" (Dec. 31, 2013) http://www.rosecityschoolofburlesque.info/what-is-burlesque.html
- Shulman, Michael and Susan Michals. "The New Burlesque of Las Vegas." Vegas Magazine. (Jan. 3, 2014) http://vegasmagazine.com/personalities/articles/the-new-burlesque
- Switcher, John. "Burlesque Dancer Twerks To Beethoven, Which Is As Amazing As It Sounds." Cosmopolitan. Oct. 17, 2013. (Jan. 3, 2014) http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrity/news/twerk-buthoven-twerk
- Thomas, Bob. "Seinfeld inspired by 'purest humor'." Kentucky New Era. Nov. 14, 1994. (Jan. 4, 2014) http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=266&dat=19941114&id=N_ErAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AmoFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1614,1576428
- The World Famous *BOB*. (Jan. 18, 2014) http://theworldfamousbob.com/