Lots More Information
Author's Note: How Professional Clowns Work
Last spring, a clown terrified my 3-year old son. The odd thing was that he knew her. She was his dance teacher, and she'd costumed herself as a clown to MC an end-of-year recital. In any case, my son flipped and refused to go onstage, never mind perform. He doesn't know anything about Gacy or the Joker (call me overprotective), so his fear didn't have to do with cultural associations. It was her stark white makeup that got him. The masklike paint rendered her both familiar and strange, a petrifying combination as far as he was concerned. It could be that clowns who don that look, the classic face pioneered by Joseph Grimaldi, risk straying into the infamous "uncanny valley," meaning they have the creepy appearance of being nearly human, but not quite. Maybe that's why many modern clowns are opting for a minimalist get-up that includes nothing more than an old bowler hat and red ball nose — just a few touches to let you know they're real people with a very odd job.
- Cirque du Soleil. "Casting/Disciplines/Clowns." 2014. (Nov. 17, 2014) http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/jobs/casting/disciplines/clowns/clowns.aspx
- Cirque du Soleil. "Working Environment." 2014. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/jobs/casting/work/health-benefits.aspx
- Clowns Without Borders. "FAQs." 2014. (Nov. 17, 2014) http://www.clownswithoutborders.org/faqs/
- Clubb, Louise George. "Italian comedy and the comedy of errors." Comparative Literature. 1967: 240-251. (Nov. 17, 2014)http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1770210?uid=3739448&uid=384768121&uid=2&uid=3737720&uid=3&uid=60&sid=21104610830501
- Cole, Thomas B. "The Court Jester Stanczyk (1480-1560) Receives News of the Loss of Smolensk (1514), During a Ball at Queen Bona's Court." JAMA 302.15 (2009): 1627-1627. (Nov. 17, 2014) http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=184723
- DeSimone, Bonnie. "Cirque's Siren Call to Athletes." USA Today. July 7, 2005. (Nov. 17, 2014) http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/2005-07-07-cirque-athletes_x.htm
- Dream Doctors Project. "Medical Clowing in Action." 2010. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://www.dreamdoctors.org.il/eng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=117&Itemid=174
- Durwin, Joseph. "Coulrophobia and the trickster." Trickster's Way 3.1 (2004): 4. (Nov. 17, 2014). http://digitalcommons.trinity.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1080&context=trickstersway&sei-redir=1&referer=http://scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=coulrophobia+and+the+trickster&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5#search="coulrophobia trickster"
- École Internationale de Théâtre Jacques Lecoq. "The School." 2014. (Nov. 17, 2014) http://www.ecole-jacqueslecoq.com/en/school_en-000001.html
- Gilbert, Sophie. "How Clowns Became Terrifying." The Atlantic. Oct. 9, 2014. (Nov. 17, 2014) http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/10/how-clowns-became-terrifying/381306/2/
- Goldhammer, Zach. "Scary Clowns Are Terrorizing France." The Atlantic. Oct. 31, 2014. (Nov. 17, 2014) http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/10/clown-killer-quest-ce-que-cest/382092/
- Hart, Jennifer. "Il Pazzia D'Innamorati: A Commedia Dell'arte." Diss. University of Central Florida Orlando, Florida, 2004. (Nov. 17, 2014) http://etd.fcla.edu/CF/CFE0000081/Hart_Jennifer_200407_MA.pdf
- Holmes, Oliver. "Clowning Around in a Time of War." June 3, 2014. (Nov. 17, 2014) http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/06/03/uk-syria-crisis-clowns-idUKKBN0EE0CV20140603
- Khanna, Meenakshi. "Cultural History of Medieval India." Social Science Press. New Delhi. 2012.
- Kifner, John. "Gacy, Killer of 33 Is Put to Death as Appeals Fail." The New York Times. May 11, 1994. (Nov. 17, 2014) http://www.nytimes.com/1994/05/11/us/gacy-killer-of-33-is-put-to-death-as-appeals-fail.html
- Otto, Beatrice K. "Fools Are Everywhere: The Court Jester Around the World." University of Chicago Press. 2001.
- Oxford Dictionaries. Oxford University Press. 2014. (Nov. 15, 2014) http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/clown?searchDictCode=all
- Picchi, Aimee. "No Laughing Matter: Clowns Are on the Decline." CBS Money Watch, CBS News. Feb. 18, 2014. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://www.cbsnews.com/news/no-laughing-matter-clowns-are-on-the-decline/
- Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey. "Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Clown College." 2014. (Nov. 17, 2014) http://www.ringling.com/contentpage.aspx?id=45924§ion=45688
- Scott, Andrew McConnell. "The Pantomime Life of Joseph Grimaldi." Canongate Books. Edinburgh. 2005.
- Spitznagel, Eric. "This Clown Will Make You Pregnant." Bloomberg Business Week. May 23, 2012. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-05-23/odd-jobs-this-clown-will-make-you-pregnant
- Vagnoli, Laura. "Parental presence, clowns or sedative premedication to treat preoperative anxiety in children: what could be the most promising option?" Pediatric Anesthesia, Volume 20, Issue 10. Pages 937–943. October 2010. (Nov. 17, 2014) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1460-9592.2010.03403.x/full
- Willeford, William. "The Fool and His Sceptre: A Study in Clown and Jester and Their Audience." Edward Arnold. 1977.
- World Clown Association. 2014. (Nov. 24, 2014) http://worldclown.com/