Modern fencing consists of three weapons:
The protective equipment for each weapon is the same:
- Padded, long-sleeved white jacket: The jacket is tight-fitting, padded in the chest area with a high collar, and fastens on the side opposite the weapon hand. It usually extends below the groin.
- Padded underarm protector: This is under the jacket on the weapon arm.
- Round, padded breast protectors: Women's jackets have these in pockets inside the jackets.
- White glove: The glove covers about half the forearm with extra padding on the backhand to protect the weapon hand; the opposing hand is bare.
- Wire mesh mask: The mask protects the head and face. It has a padded bib, which covers the neck. The mask must be able to withstand about 25 pounds (120 newtons) of force.
- White pants: The pants are either knickers worn with above-the-calf, white socks, or ankle-length pants.
- Fencing shoes: The shoes offer extra support to the inside of the sole (optional).