Lots More Information
In honor of the 25th 007 film, 'No Time to Die,' HowStuffWorks is celebrating 25 Bond Girls, whose looks all but gave them a license to kill.
Author's Note: Top 10 Mad Science Fails
When I was a child, I really wanted to be a mad scientist. I longed for the lab coats, the test tubes and of course the hideous monsters. Luckily, I grew out of that phase because as this article illustrates, mad science is a lonely, nightmarish and doom-ridden profession.
They make great villains and even better tragic heroes, but mad scientists are also a fascinating product of our modern age, embodying humanity's distrust and concern over the advance of modern science. Will we press too far? Will we lose our moral compass or employ science in the pursuit of immoral ends? As we advance through the ages and achieve unprecedented wonders, no doubt the mad scientist trope will continue to haunt the corners of our minds.
I love all the mads on this list and, despite the fun we have with each one, I also love the books and films they call home. My many thanks to all the wonderful authors, artists, directors and actors who gave them unnatural life.
- How Human Experimentation Works
- 5 Sickest Teleporter Accidents Ever
- How Frankenstein's Monster Works
- How well do you know Frankenstein's monster?
- Quiz: Know Your Frankenstein Actors
- How do the Ig Nobel Prizes work?
- 10 Scientists Who Were Their Own Guinea Pigs
- 10 Oddball Questions Scientists Have Genuinely Tried to Answer
- "The Fly." Brooksfilms. 1986.
- "Futurama." 20th Century Fox. 2012.
- "The House by the Cemetery." Fulvia Film. 1981
- "The Island of Dr. Moreau." New Line Cinema. 1996.
- Mignola, Mike. "Hellboy: Conqueror Worm." Dark Horse. March 8, 2002.
- Moore, Alan. "Swamp Thing Vol. 2: Love and Death." Vertigo. April 1, 1995
- "The Munsters." CBS. 1966.
- "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." 20th Century Fox. 1975.
- Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft. "Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus." Lackington, Hughes, Harding, Mavor, & Jones. 1818.
- "Zaat." Clark Distributors. 1971.