Author's Note: How does the NFL salary cap work?
Do salary caps help make a sports league competitive? The short answer is probably yes, although there are other, different factors including luxury taxes and reverse-order drafts. Still, an argument can be made that the salary cap doesn't hurt. Within the last 30 NFL seasons, 14 different NFL teams have won the Super Bowl, while 25 different teams have appeared in the big game. Major League Baseball, which also has a salary cap, has similar numbers: 18 different teams have won the World Series in 30 seasons, and 25 different teams have made it to the series. The NBA, which has a salary cap, seems to be the least competitive. In that period, just eight different teams have won the NBA Finals, while only 19 different teams have made it to the finals.
- Brooke, Tyler. "How Does the Salary Cap Work in the NFL?" Bleacher Report. June 10, 2013. (April 1, 2014) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1665623-how-does-the-salary-cap-work-in-the-nfl
- Isidore, Chris. "Why football is still a money machine." CNN Money. Feb. 1, 2013. (April 1, 2014) http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/01/news/companies/nfl-money-super-bowl/
- La Canfora, Jason. "2014 NFL salary cap: Where each team stands as free agency looms." CBSsports.com. March 3, 2014 (April 1, 2014) http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24466063/nfl-salary-cap-where-each-team-stands-as-free-agency-looms
- Lackner, Al. "Salary Cap FAQ." Ask the Commish.com. (April 2, 2014) http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx
- Neiger, Chris. "How Salary Caps Changed Sports." Investopedia. Sept. 28, 2010. (April 3, 2014) http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0910/how-salary-caps-changed-sports.aspx
- Trotter, Jim. "Cowboys, Redskins file complaint over salary cap penalties." Sports Illustrated. March 25, 2012. (April, 3, 2014) http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/03/25/cowboys.redskins.complaint/index.html