Lots More Information
Author's Note: What's the infield fly rule?
It was interesting researching the infield fly rule, because I have to admit that the intricacy of baseball rules sometimes baffles me. When I was a young athlete, my sport was basketball, and so I never really mastered the fine points of the Great American Pastime in the way that I learned, say, the difference between a legal pick and a moving screen, or how the five-second count works when you're trying to pass the ball inbounds to a teammate. To an extent, that really limits my appreciation of baseball, where legalistic precision is an integral part of the game's identity and appeal.
- Baseball Almanac. "Baseball Rules: 7.00 The Runner." Baseball-Almanac.com. 2013. (July 14, 2013) http://www.baseball-almanac.com/rule7.shtml
- Corcoran, Cliff. "Infield fly drama mars Cardinals' wild-card win, a black eye for MLB." Sports Illustrated. Oct. 6, 2012. (July 14, 2013)http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/cliff_corcoran/10/05/braves-cardinals-nl-wild-card-infield-fly-protest/index.html
- Major League Baseball. "Official Info." MLB.com. Undated. July 14, 2013. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/definition_terms_2.jsp
- QCBaseball.com. "Infield Fly Rule." Qcbaseball.com. Undated. (July 16, 2013)http://www.qcbaseball.com/baseball_rules/infield_fly_rule1.aspx
- Wasserman, Howard. "In Defense of Baseball's Infield Fly Rule." Theatlantic.com. Oct. 12, 2012. (July 14, 2013) http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/10/in-defense-of-baseballs-infield-fly-rule/263569/