How to Play Razz
A variation on the usual game of 7-Card Stud is called Razz. Razz is basically 7-Card Stud played for the lowest hand. All rules are the same as 7-Card Stud with the following exceptions:
- The lowest hand wins the pot. Aces are low, and flushes and straights do not count; thus the best possible hand is A-2-3-4-5.
- Unlike any hi/lo poker game, in Razz you do not have to be below a 9 to have the lowest hand; thus your highest card can be a jack, and you can still win the pot if you have the lowest hand.
Good starting hands often include an ace or at least two unpaired cards five or below.Stud poker may not dominate the poker world anymore, but many poker players still prefer it. With these tips, you can add a couple more poker variations to your repertoire.
For more information on 7-Card Stud Poker and other variations, try the following links:
- To see all of our articles on poker rules and advice, go to our main article on How To Play Poker.
- For an simple overview of the game, brush up on some Poker Basics.
- Take up the new "most popular version of poker" by learning How to Play Texas Hold 'Em Poker.
- For a real challenge, learn the ins and outs of a complex form of poker, and become skilled at How to Play Omaha Poker.