Author's Note: How Hot Wheels Work
When I was growing up, I had a cardboard case full of Hot Wheels. Hundreds of little metal cars. My brother had another box full. And I'm old enough now that if I had kept those cars, I would probably be a millionaire. Except that we all know that isn't true.
We played with those cars hard. Really hard. I remember one of our favorite games was to start at one end of our small kitchen with the cars lined up with their noses at a line in the linoleum. Then we would shove them as hard as we could toward the other end of the kitchen. The car that hit the baseboard of the opposite wall with all four wheels still on the floor won. That game was quickly killed when our parents noticed what die-cast metal cars do to wood baseboards.
By the time we grew out of them, our Hot Wheels looked as terrible as the baseboards in the kitchen. Collectors say to look for dents and paint scratches; ours were made of nothing but dents and scratches. So, yeah. Maybe not a millionaire.
- Cadillac.com "2015 Escalade." (Nov. 19, 2014) http://www.cadillac.com/escalade-suv.html
- Carney, Dan. "Hot Wheels' Speedy Design." Automotive Engineering Magazine - via SAE International. Oct. 18, 2013. (Nov. 11, 2014) http://articles.sae.org/12535/
- Cast-Rite Corporation. "What Is Die-Casting?" (Nov. 19, 2014) http://www.cast-rite.com/engineering/die-casting/
- Collectible Hot Wheels. "Hot Wheels 1968-Present." (Nov. 19, 2014) http://collectablehotwheels.com/hot-wheels-timeline
- Espino, David. "Collector's Corner: Vintage Hot Wheels - Hotter Than Ever." eCommerce Bytes. June 30, 2001. (Nov. 11, 2014) http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abu/y201/m07/abu0041/s06
- Gerber, Allison. "Coffee Break Design History: Hot Wheels." Apartment Therapy. Nov. 10, 2014. (Nov. 11, 2014) http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/coffee-break-history-of-the-hot-wheels-race-car-212651
- Hot Wheels Collectors. "An Introduction to Hot Wheels Collecting." March 29, 2010. (Nov. 11, 2014) http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/news/news.aspx?archive=true&news_id=1009
- Hot Wheels Collectors. "Hot Wheels Kicks Off 40th Anniversary With Diamond-Encrusted at NY Toy Fair." Feb. 15, 2008. (Nov. 11, 2014) http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/news/news.aspx?news_id=671
- Hot Wheels Media. "Hot Wheels Fast Facts." (Nov. 11, 2014) http://www.hotwheelsmedia.com/i/brand-facts/fast-facts
- Hot Wheels. "History of Hot Wheels." (Nov. 11, 2014) http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_Hot_Wheels
- Jason of Beverly Hills. "Hot Wheels 40th Anniversary Car." Nov. 20, 2008. (Nov. 11, 2014) http://jasonofbh.blogspot.com/2008/11/hot-wheels-40th-anniversary-car.html
- RedlineGuide.com. "Why Hot Wheels Cars?" (Nov. 11, 2014) http://www.redlineguide.com/pages/history.htm
- The Petersen. "Hot Wheels." (Nov. 11, 2014) http://www.petersen.org/exhibitions/hot-wheels
- Townsend, Allie. "All-Time 100 Greatest Toys: Hot Wheels" Time. Feb. 26, 2011. (Nov. 11, 2014) http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2049243_2048656_2049114,00.html
- Zarnock, Mike. "Top 10 Hot Wheels cars of all time." Antique Trader. Aug. 17, 2010. (Nov. 11, 2014) http://www.antiquetrader.com/features/top_10_hot_wheels_cars_of_all_time