Author's Note: Do men really schedule their vasectomies during March Madness?
Yes, I had a vasectomy about 12 years ago. Yes, it hurt. Yes, I shut the door to the bedroom so the cats wouldn't jump on me. And yes, like a fool I went to go see a Broadway show that night. The procedure lasted longer than my marriage — thankfully. According to one study, vasectomies fail at about a rate of 11 per 1,000 a year after the procedure is performed. Those odds are much better than Harvard winning a national title.
- Brooks, Walter. "March Madness means pizza and vasectomies on Cape Cod." Cape Cod Today. March 24, 2013. (March 26, 2013) http://www.capecodtoday.com/article/2013/03/24/17836-march-madness-means-pizza-and-vasectomies-cape-cod
- DePoint, Matt. "Do more men opt for a vasectomy during March Madness?" University of Minnesota. March 21, 2013. (March 26, 2013) http://www.health.umn.edu/healthtalk/2013/03/21/do-more-men-opt-for-a-vasectomy-during-march-madness/
- Fox News. "Vasectomy surgeries increase during March Madness." March 22, 2013. (March 26, 2013) http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/03/22/vasectomy-surgeries-increase-during-march-madness/
- Kovanis, Georgea. "Vasectomies up During NCCC basketball tournament." USA Today. March 15, 2012. (March 26, 2013) http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/story/health/story/2012-03-15/Vasectomies-up-during-NCAA-basketball-tournament/53552554/1
- Planned Parenthood. "Vasectomy." (March 26, 2013) http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/vasectomy-4249.htm
- Savedge, Jenn. "March Madness brings basketball, pizza...and vasectomies?" March 17, 2012. (March, 26, 2013) http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/blogs/march-madness-brings-basketball-pizza-and-vasectomies