Lots More Information
Author's Note: How Bunting Works
I've always been a fan of team players and playmakers. You can keep your homerun kings, your ball-hogging board slammers and your hail-Mary-hucking QBs -- give me the guy who will lay down a sacrifice bunt, dish the rock or throw the perfect block. It's not just that they are unsung heroes; it's that I appreciate the skill level, the discipline and the teamwork their play represents. I admire the vast array of tools in their kit -- and the options those moves open up for their coaches and teams.
So let's hear it for the Brett Butlers, Larry Birds and Tom Rathmans of the world. You don't build dynasties on the backs of one or two showboats, but a good utility player might get you halfway there.
- Adair, Robert K. "The Physics of Baseball." Harper Perennial. May 2002.
- Baseball from the Ground Up. "Standard Bunt Defense." http://www.bftgu.com/home-2/baseball-instruction-school/standard-bunt-defense/
- Bristow, Cindy. "Perfecting the Bunt: Slap, Squeeze & Bunting for a Hit." Fastball St. Albert Association. http://fastballstalbert.com/articles_pdf/Perfecting%20the%20Bunt.pdf
- Christopher, Matt. "The World Series: Legendary Sports Events." Little, Brown Books for Young Readers. December 2009.
- Curry, Jack. "Baseball: The Lost Art -- Strategy of the Bunt; No More Easy Outs." The New York Times. Aug.17, 2003. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/17/sports/baseball-the-lost-art-strategy-of-the-bunt-no-more-easy-outs.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
- ESPN. "Juan Pierre Statistics." June 27, 2013. http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/4486/juan-pierre
- ESPN. "MLB Triple Crown." 2013. http://espn.go.com/mlb/history/triplecrown
- Everding, Gerry. "St. Louis Cardinals Slugger Pujols Gets Babe Ruth Test at Washington University." Washington University in St. Louis News. Aug. 22, 2006. http://news.wustl.edu/news/Pages/7535.aspx
- Fangraphs. "Juan Pierre." July 01, 2013. http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=443&position=OF
- Fangraphs. "Willy Taveras." July 01, 2013. http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1876&position=OF
- Fencl, Heidi S. "Conservation of Momentum Problem: Bunting a Baseball." University of Wisconsin Green Bay Natural & Applied Sciences. http://www.uwgb.edu/fenclh/problems/energy/5/
- Friend, Harold. "New York Yankees: Mickey Mantle Bunted His Way to the Triple Crown." The Bleacher Report. June 9, 2011. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/729168-new-york-yankees-mickey-mantle-bunted-his-way-to-the-triple-crown
- Kirkpatrick, Paul. "Batting the Ball. American Journal of Physics." Vol. 31, no. 8. Page 606. August 1963. http://baseball.physics.illinois.edu/KirkpatrickAJP.pdf
- Lempert, Jason. "Ranking MLB's 10 Most Feared Base Stealers Heading into 2013." The Bleacher Report. March 12, 2013. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1563299-ranking-mlbs-10-most-feared-base-stealers-heading-into-2013
- Madden, Bill. "Earl Weaver Dead at 82: Legendary Baltimore Orioles Manager was One of Baseball's Most Colorful Characters." New York Daily News. Jan. 19, 2013. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/earl-weaver-dead-82-article-1.1243096
- Major League Baseball. "Official Baseball Rules." 2013 Edition. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2013/official_baseball_rules.pdf
- Manning, George. "Hitting a Baseball ... It's All in the Physics." Louisville Slugger Museum and factory, Hillerich & Bradsby Co. 2004. http://www.sluggermuseum.com/workspace/uploads/hitting-a-baseball.._7_9.pdf
- Marcus, Adam. "Tip for Casey: To Swing a Faster Bat, Lighten Up That Lumber." Scientific American. July 14, 2009. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=baseball-bat-speed-all-star
- McKenna, Brian. "Dickey Pearce." Society for American Baseball Research Baseball Biography Project. http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/db8ea477
- Morgan, Joe and Richard Lally. "Bunting in Baseball. Baseball for Dummies." March 2011. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/bunting-in-baseball.html
- Povich, Shirley. "Mantle's Critics Swing, Miss." The Washington Post. June 19, 1995. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/longterm/general/povich/launch/mantle.htm
- Quality Coaching. "Baseball. Situations -- Bunt Defense." http://www.qcbaseball.com/situations/bunt1.aspx
- Rodriguez, Juan C. "Info Box: Pierre Second on All-Time Bunt Hits List. Sun Sentinel." March 4, 2013. http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-03-04/sports/fl-marlins-spring-training-bunting-box-0305-20130304-1_1_info-box-bunt-hits-pierre-ranks
- Rodriguez, Juan C. Pierre "Unrivaled Among Era's Elite Bunters." Sun Sentinel. March 4, 2013. http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-03-04/sports/fl-marlins-spring-training-bunting-0305-20130304_1_bunt-travel-roster-dave-collins
- Russell, Daniel A. "Bat Weight, Swing Speed and Ball Velocity." Pennsylvania State University. June 26, 2013. http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/bats/batw8.html
- Short, D.J. "Aroldis Chapman Throws Fastest Pitch Ever Recorded." NBC Sports. Sept. 25, 2010. http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/25/aroldis-chapman-throws-fastest-pitch-ever-recorded/
- Smith, Duane A. "Dickey Pearce." Baseball Library. http://www.baseballlibrary.com/ballplayers/player.php?name=Dickey_Pearce_1836
- Steinberg, Dan. "The Astros Botch a Bunt, and the Nats Win." The Washington Post. Aug. 7, 2012. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/the-astros-botch-a-bunt-and-the-nats-win/2012/08/07/4719fc4a-e08a-11e1-8fc5-a7dcf1fc161d_blog.html
- Tapp, Jerry. "The Brewers Connection: Home Runs and Sacrifice Bunts." The Bleacher Report. Oct. 2, 2012. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1355970-the-brewers-connection-home-runs-and-sacrifice-bunts