Fyodor Solntsev's 'Antiquities of the Russian State'
This book is a perfect example of supply and demand. It's similar to Audubon's "Birds of America" in that it's a collection of Fyodor Solntsev's paintings. Instead of birds, Solntsev painted old suits of armor, architecture, religious icons, clothing and costumes worn by nobles and other culturally significant Russian treasures. The paintings were then collected and published as a seven-volume set in 1844. Here's where the supply part comes in: Only 600 sets were made [source: Kremlin].
The rarity of the work and lushness of the paintings alone make this book valuable, but in recent years, the Russian aristocracy has grown quite a bit. That new cash flow has increased demand for the few complete sets of "Drevnosti Rossiskago Gosudarstva" (the Russian title) still in existence. In 2006, a full set sold for $748,000 [source: Forbes].
- American Museum of Natural History. "Leonardo's Codex Leicester: A Masterpiece of Science." (May 4, 2010)http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/codex/intro.html
- BBC News. "Bard's first folio fetches £2.8m." July 13, 2006. (May 3, 2010) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5175044.stm
- British Library. "Shakespeare's First Folio." Accessed May 3, 2010. (May 3, 2010) http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/landprint/shakespeare/index.html
- Carleton College. "The Sarajevo Haggadah." Gould Library. (May 4, 2010) http://apps.carleton.edu/campus/library/now/exhibits/facsimilies/haggadah/
- CBC News. "Bill Gates withholds Leonardo da Vinci manuscript over security concerns." Sept. 23, 2006. (May 4, 2010)http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2006/09/23/davinci-gates-manuscript.html#skip300x250
- Christie's. "PTOLEMY (Claudius Ptolemaeus). Geographia universalis. Translated from Greek into Latin by Willibald Pirckheimer (1470-1530), edited by Sebastian Münster (1488-1552). Basel: Heinrich Petri, August 1545." (May 4, 2010) http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5281432
- Clausen Books. "Gutenberg Bible Census." (May 3, 2010) http://www.clausenbooks.com/gutenbergcensus.htm
- Cohen, Roger. "Bosnia Jews Glimpse Book and Hope." New York Times, April 16, 1995. (May 3, 2010)http://www.nytimes.com/1995/04/16/world/bosnia-jews-glimpse-book-and-hope.html
- Danzer, Gerland. "Cartographic Images of the World on the Eve of the Discoveries." The Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography, 1988. (May 4, 2010) http://www.newberry.org/smith/slidesets/ss08.html
- Eaves, Elisabeth. "The 10 Most Expensive Books Of 2006." Forbes, Jan. 16, 2007. (May 4, 2010) http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/16/most-expensive-books-tech-media-cx_ee_books06_0116expensivebooks.html
- Harry Ransom Center. "The Printing of the Bible." University of Texas at Austin. (May 3, 2010) http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/permanent/gutenberg/html/4.html
- Jergovic, Miljenco. "The act of saving the Sarajevo Haggadah as Australian soap opera." Bosnian Institute, Dec. 7, 2009. (May 4, 2010) http://www.bosnia.org.uk/news/news_body.cfm?newsid=2652
- Kirk, Connie Ann. "Edgar Allan Poe's rare 'Tamerlane and Other Poems' sells for $662,500 in Christie's auction." Examiner.com. Dec. 4, 2009. (May 4, 2010)http://www.examiner.com/x-22219-Literature-Examiner~y2009m12d4-Edgar-Allan-Poes-rare-Tamerlane-and-Other-Poems-sells-for-662500-in-Christies-auction
- New York Times. "The Sale of Gutenberg's Bible." July 3, 1897. (May 3, 2010) http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=3&res=9F04E7DC163DE433A25750C0A9619C94669ED7CF
- Moscow Kremlin. "'Antiquities of the Russian State' in oeuvre of F.G. Solntsev." (May 4, 2010) http://www.kreml.ru/en/main/virtual/exposition/Solntsev/
- Poetry @ Harvard. "Poetry in French." (May 4, 2010) http://www.poetry.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k40344&panel=icb.pagecontent473046%3Ar%241%3Fname%3Dmedieval.html&pageid=icb.page239940&pageContentId=icb.pagecontent473045&view=view.do&viewParam_name=rimbaud.html
- Princeton Audubon. "Original Audubon/Havell Birds of America Prints." (May 4, 2010) http://www.princetonaudubon.com/audubon_original_birds_of_americ.htm
- Zubrinic, Darko. "The Sarajevo Haggadah." CroatianHistory.net. (May 4, 2010) http://www.croatianhistory.net/etf/hagg.html
HowStuffWorks gets to know prolific children's writer Shel Silverstein, poet, musician, illustrator and man of many talents and interests.