Author's Note: 5 Worst Cases of the Yips in Baseball
I had the opposite of the yips when I played basketball in middle school. I had one amazing game where they coach said, "Give Chris the ball" and the rest of my "career" was basically made up of me barely getting off the bench and missing shots when I did. So this topic amazed me when I began researching how many players have struggled with the yips. The yips seem different than a slump, which most every player experiences, because yips appear out of nowhere and actually inhibit a player from using almost any of their skill. Kind of scary when you think about it.
With all the press professional players receive when they get the yips, I'm surprised more players don't end up with them by just thinking about how scary it would be to actually have them. Baseball seems like a particularly vulnerable sport for the yips since players often have to make big plays by themselves. One bad throw or missed catch could literally lose a game. That's a lot of pressure!
- Baumbach, Jim. "Sasser Also had Saltalamacchia's Throwing Pains." Newsday.com. May 21, 2010. (Aug. 10, 2012) http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/sasser-also-had-saltalamacchia-s-throwing-pains-1.1932913
- CBS. "Pirates' Steve Blass Opens Up In New Book." May 18, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/05/18/pirates-steve-blass-opens-up-in-new-book/
- Demak, Richard. "Mysterious Malady." Sports Illustrated. April 8, 1991. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1139812/index.htm
- Inside the Zone. "The Mackey Sasser Story." (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.insidethezone.com/index.php/mackey-sasser
- Jordan, Pat. "A Mound of Troubles." The New York Times Magazine. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://partners.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/20010211mag-ankiel.html
- McCarron, Anthony. "Former Mets Catcher Mackey Sasser Tosses His Past Issues Aside." NY Daily News. June 20, 2009. (Aug. 13, 2012) http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009-06-20/sports/17925891_1_mackey-sasser-ex-met-pro
- O'Neill, Brian. "Finding Joy in Life Cured his Steve Blass Disease." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. July 3, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/opinion/brian-oneill/finding-joy-in-life-cured-his-steve-blass-disease-641744/
- Oxford English Dictionary. "Yips." http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/yips?q=yips
- Plautz, Jason. "Steve Blass' Horrible, Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Disease." Mental Floss. June 22, 2007. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/6461
- Rayno, Amelia. "Chuck Knoblauch: Unpacking Memories." Star Tribune. Sept. 22, 2011. (Aug. 10, 2012) http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/130322473.html
- Star, Jon. "The 10 Worst Cases of the Yips in Sports." Bleacher Report. April 28, 2010. (Aug. 10, 2012) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/385462-the-10-worst-yips-in-sports