Lots More Information
Baseball's fourth out is just one of the kookier rules in the not so simple U.S. pastime. Learn what a fourth out is at HowStuffWorks.
Author's Note: 5 Common Baseball Injuries
I've never played sports professionally, but like most other people, I've put in my time on the baseball diamond in back of my school swinging at pitched-balls that, more often than not, I failed to hit. I can't say I was ever injured on the playing field -- actually, my worst "sports" injury came when somebody tripped me as I was running around the school gym -- but if you're somebody who takes your sports seriously, either as an amateur, a professional, or a would-be professional, you owe it to yourself to guard against serious injury. We often hear of a single injury taking an athlete out of the game for an entire season -- or worse yet, ending their career altogether. Sure, baseball isn't as rough as some other sports, but don't let that make you complacent. Any sport that involves running, jumping, high-speed balls and strenuous exercise in the hot sun has risks aplenty. Don't let that scare you away from the sheer joy of running the bases, but be sure to take every precaution you can.
- Abe, Susan. "Concussions and Traumatic Head Injuries in Baseball Players." Yahoo Voices. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://voices.yahoo.com/concussions-traumatic-head-injuries-baseball-6554792.html
- Sport Injury Clinic. "Baseball Injuries." (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sports-specific/baseball-injuries
- Family Education. "Common Baseball Injuries." (Aug. 20, 2012) http://life.familyeducation.com/wounds-and-injuries/first-aid/48319.html
- World of Orthopedics. "Common Baseball injuries." (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.worldoforthopedics.com/2011/03/common-baseball-injuries/
- Ripken, Cal and Bill. "Heat and Hydration." RipkenBaseball.com. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.ripkenbaseball.com/cc/notebook/index.html?article_id=761
- Stöppler, Melissa Conrad, MD. "Heat Stroke." Medicine Net. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.medicinenet.com/heat_stroke/article.htm