Lots More Information
The Olympic opening ceremony is an emotional and inspiring parade of athletes. Learn about the Olympic opening ceremonies at HowStuffWorks.
Author's Note: 5 Amazing Olympic Athletes
I love the Olympics. Really, really love them. As in, I do little else but sit glued to the TV for the two weeks they run. (Uh, sorry Boss.) So, obviously, I extremely enjoyed writing this article. These were all such wonderful and inspiring stories. Reading about Jesse Owens, for example, definitely left me a little teary eyed. So did writing about Thomas Bimis and Nikolaos Siranidis. I remember watching them on TV as they found out they had emerged from the competition victorious. Their incredible excitement and pure elation is something I will never forget. And not to overlook giving Babe Didrikson a shout out here, she was simply one of the most amazing athletes ever. I'm such a fan I've even visited her museum. That was one impressive lady!
- "1904 Olympics." DatabaseOlympics.com. (May 4, 2012) http://www.databaseolympics.com/games/gamessport.htm?g=3&sp=GYM
- Agence France-Presse. "Artistic Gymnasts." ESPN. 2008. (May 4, 2012) http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/fanguide/athlete?athlete=7745
- "Babe Didrikson Zaharias." BabeDidriksonZaharias.org. (May 4, 2012). http://www.babedidriksonzaharias.org/wp/
- Berg, Aimee. "Greek Divers Win Unexpected Gold As Favorites Flop." The New York Sun. Aug. 17, 2004. (May 4, 2012) http://www.nysun.com/sports/greek-divers-win-unexpected-gold-as-favorites-flop/386/
- Fraser, Andrew. "Greek duo revel in golden delight." BBC. (May 4, 2012) http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics_2004/3571738.stm
- "George Eyser." DataBaseOlympics.com. (May 4, 2012) http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/ey/george-eyser-1.html
- "George Eyser." Olympics.org. (May 4, 2012) http://www.olympic.org/medallists-results?games=31373&athletename=eyser&category=1&sport=&event=&mengender=true&womengender=false&mixedgender=false&teamclassification=false&individualclassification=false&continent=&country=&goldmedal=false&silvermedal=false&bronzemedal=false&targetresults=true&worldrecord=false&olympicrecord=false
- "George Eyser." SportReference.com. (May 4, 2012) http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/ey/george-eyser-1.html
- "George Eyser -- amputee Olympic Gymnast." GymnasticCoaching.com. July 30, 2011. (May 4, 2012) http://gymnasticscoaching.com/new/2011/07/george-eyser-amputee-olympic-gymnast/
- JesseOwens.com. (May 4, 2012) http://www.jesseowens.com/
- Jesse Owens Memorial Park Web site. (May 4, 2012) http://www.jesseowensmuseum.org/
- London 2012 (May 4, 2012) http://www.london2012com/
- NBC Olympics Coverage. (May 4, 2012) http://www.nbcolympics.com.
- NBC Universal. "Diving: Inside This Sport: History." NBC Beijing 2008. (May 4, 2012) http://www.2008.nbcolympics.com/diving/insidethissport/history/newsid=119258.html
- Official Site of the Olympics Movement. (May 4, 2012) http://www.olympic.org/
- "Olympics 2012." Families Online. April 23, 2012 (May 4, 2012) http://www.familiesonline.co.uk/LOCATIONS/Chiltern/Articles2/Olympics-20122/Olympics-2012#.T6gzLejOypc
- Schwartz, Larry. "Didrikson was a woman ahead of her time." ESPN. http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00014147.html
- Sochi 2014. (May 4, 2012) http://sochi2014.com/en/
- Spalding, A. G. "Spalding's Official Athletic Almanac." January 1905. (May 4, 2012) http://www.aafla.org/6oic/OfficialReports/1904/1904Spal.pdf