Lots More Information
The Olympic opening ceremony is an emotional and inspiring parade of athletes. Learn about the Olympic opening ceremonies at HowStuffWorks.
Author's Note: 10 Olympic Games That Nearly Bankrupted Their Host Countries
As much as I love the Olympics (creating iCal appointments so I don't miss the opening ceremonies, canceling social events in favor of Olympic viewing marathons, going through an irritable withdrawal stage in the wake of the closing event), there is a part of me that cringes at the cost.
Until I began researching this article, I didn't know how much the global games could cost a host country. I'd never even attempted to find out. I was living in a blissful state of unawares, beguiled by the pomp and majesty of an elite athletes' showcase. In retrospect, I was a bit like the countries bidding for the chance to host an Olympics: sure of the benefits, eager for the party, convinced the financial cost would fall in line.
- Athens Info Guide. "Olympic Venues in Athens." (Jan. 9, 2013) http://www.athensinfoguide.com/olympicvenues.htm
- Austen, Ian. "A $1 Billion Hangover From an Olympic Party." CNBC Feb. 25, 2010. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://www.cnbc.com/id/35581780
- Black, Matthew. "Winner's Curse? The Economics of Hosting the Olympics." CBC News. July 30, 2012. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/story/1.1186962
- CBC News. "Quebec's Big Owe Stadium Debt is Over." Dec. 19, 2006. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-s-big-owe-stadium-debt-is-over-1.602530
- CNBC. "Olympic Cities: Booms and Busts." (Jan. 9, 2014) http://www.cnbc.com/id/45943877/page/1
- CTV Montreal. "Montrealers Weight Future of Big O During Weekend Tours." Oct. 15, 2011. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montrealers-weigh-future-of-big-o-during-weekend-tours-1.711810
- Jennings, Will. "The Average Cost Overrun for Producing the Olympic Games Has Been More Than 200 percent Since 1976." The London School of Economics and Political Science. July 28, 2012. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2012/07/28/olympic-games-cost/
- Johnson, William O. "Back Where the Games Belong." Sports Illustrated. Nov. 4, 1974. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1089198/4/index.htm
- Kahn, Gabriel. "In Turin, Paying for Games Went Down to the Wire." Wall Street Journal. Feb. 10, 2006. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB113953927274470349
- Payne, Bob. "The Olympics Effect." Concierge. August 2008. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://www.concierge.com/ideas/budget/tours/2695?page=6
- Saunders, Doug. "The Olympian Task of Sidestepping Olympics Pitfalls." The Globe and Mail. April 17, 2012. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/the-olympian-task-of-sidestepping-olympics-pitfalls/article4107531/?page=all
- Seymour, Jude. "Hoffman Held Purse Strings for 1980 Olympics in Placid." Watertown Daily Times. Sept. 6, 2009. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20090906/NEWS03/309069971
- Smith, Helena. "Athens 2004 Olympics: What Happened After the Athletes Went Home?" The Guardian. May 9, 2012. (Jan. 9, 2013) http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/may/09/athens-2004-olympics-athletes-home
- Terret, Thierry, et al. "The Puliti Affair and the 1924 Paris Olympics: Geo-Political Issues, National Pride and Fencing Traditions." October 2007. (Jan. 15, 2014) http://www.scribd.com/doc/88031630/Puliti-Affair
- The Economist. "The Winter Olympics: Downhill All the Way." Feb. 5, 1998. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://www.economist.com/node/112549
- Village of Lake Placid. "History." (Jan. 9, 2014) http://villageoflakeplacid.ny.gov/content/History
- Zarnowski, Frank. "A Look At Olympic Costs." 1997. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://www.ecsgrid.com/JOHv1n1f.pdf