Vincent van Gogh painted Daubigny's Garden in 1890 in honor of Charles-François Daubigny, who was an early practitioner of plein air painting. Daubigny settled in Auvers-sur-Oise and lived there until his death nearly two decades before Vincent van Gogh's arrival. Daubigny's widow still lived in the house when Vincent painted Daubigny's Garden in delicate tones of pink, green, and violet. Vincent van Gogh's great fidelity to natural tones pays tribute to Daubigny's own adherence to nature.
Van Gogh's furious output in Auvers-sur-Oise included many of the buildings in the village. On the next page, we'll see van Gogh's depiction of the church.